Wednesday, August 7, 2013

What Dogs Do


Because I am legally blind and not completely sightless, I get to see things Chase does that entertain me, or at least engage my interest.
 
Number 1:  Day before yesterday, we crossed the street at the usual corner near our development.  Suddenly, we stopped dead in our tracks for a sunflower.  Well, actually it was a person dressed as a sunflower.  She had on a green onesie and a sunflower mask.   She was waving one of those big rectangular signs advertising a flower shop.  Chase was having none of that. (Truth be told, I myself am a little leery of people who dress as flowers in public.)  He stopped.  He looked up at me.  He backed up.  I gave him the “forward” command and he backed up some more.  She spoke to us, but I think that just confused him further.  Finally, I dropped the harness handle, took the leash and told him to heel.  As we walked past her, Chase’s head was on a swivel, making sure we weren’t going to get pistil whipped.

Number 2: Busy sidewalks seem to energize Chase.  He walks faster.  He tailgates.  And lately, I’ve noticed he seems to play chicken.  We can see someone coming toward us a half-block away.  Chase doesn’t veer off.  He walks right at them.  Sometimes, if they don’t adjust, they have to squeeze by us.  I just pretend I’m a jolly, sightless guy, completely unaware of what he’s doing.

Number 3:  Sometimes Chase does strange dog stuff.  We changed BART trains yesterday at 19th Street station in Oakland.  The Pittsburg-Bay Point train was crowded.  I asked if there might be a seat for me and my guide dog.  While people were looking at each other and deciding if they would be the one to give up a seat (more precious than gold on a crowded BART train), Chase leaned over and licked the knee of the old (my age) guy sitting in the seat closest to us.  Interpret that as you will. We got a seat, but not from that guy. 

1 comment:

  1. JD and I don't really laugh at each other's jokes anymore. We just point out the cleverest phrase and say, "'(blank)' is funny." In that spirit: 'Pistil whipped' is funny.

    ReplyDelete