Friday, July 12, 2013

Cody Chases Chase. Chase Chases Cody.


Things are winding down and gearing up at the same time here on the campus of Guide Dogs for the Blind.  On one hand, we had our last day of instruction and information today.  On the other, tomorrow is not only our graduation, but puppy raiser Fun Day. 

The number they’re anticipating is still 1,600 puppy raisers and breeder dog handlers.  But the new figure I heard for dogs here tomorrow (beyond the usual 300 in the kennels) is 500.  Workers were already setting up chairs and booths and blocking off parking lots today.  The gift shop was jammed.

My instructor, Angie, did a great thing for us today.  She allowed Patti to bring over our pet poodle, Cody, to meet Chase on neutral ground before we bring the Lab into Cody’s living room.  Here’s a little video of the two of them in one of GDB’s play yards.



In the afternoon, the GDB staff gave us binders with all sorts of information about our dogs and about services available to us.  We received laminated ID cards with a picture of us and our dog.  (it’s a photo of a photo in a laminated ID card. I’m the one sitting in the chair.)



Tonight, I begin to pack up to go home.  Although help is just a phone call away, I’m still a little nervous.  So far, when I mess up, there’s been a voice right behind me to correct and guide.  (On a short leash, so to speak.)  But after tomorrow, it’s just me and Chase.  I have a lot of confidence in him.  Me?  We’ll see.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to meet Chase...I will leave my two dogs home for awhile...4 dogs...small house...uh...no...love you Uncle Craig. Thinking of you today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on Graduation! You all will do fine.

    ReplyDelete