Friday, July 5, 2013

Day 6: Chase The Change

Today was a day of change.  After a few days of trying a lot of different dog training tricks, we were still unable to get Nicole to walk at a pace I found comfortable.  She just didn’t seem to be able to maintain the quicker walk that made me feel comfortable.

So after talking it over with the Guide Dogs staff, they decided to have me try a different dog.  They brought me Chase, an 18 month old, 65 pound, 23 inches tall, black Labrador retriever. 
  


The difference was obvious immediately.  Chase walked like someone was chasing him.  Well, not exactly.  But he was definitely quicker.  And that made it easier for me to concentrate on the walk, not having to give constant encouragement to speed up.


As the bank ad says, “Chase what matters”.  And we agreed what matters is that I have a dog that will be an effective vision aid, not a pet.  Nicole is a wonderful dog, and we were beginning to bond, but she was not going to be the most effective vision aid for me.  


Chase was also immediately engaging.  He has a demeanor that says, “I’m so excited to meet you.”  He wags, wiggles and leans in.

Another part of today’s instruction was clicker training.  We learned how to use a clicker combined with rewards to teach the dogs new tricks.  I will likely use it to teach Chase the “chair” command.  That means he should find an empty place to sit.  It’s a technique that should be handy on BART.  The command is “chair” rather than “seat” because seat sounds too much like sit.  It can also be used to teach the dogs to find the button on the pole for the street crossing signal or to find a trash can (a handy command for sightless people who just picked up a bag full of dog waste and would rather not carry it around with them.)

Tonight, we heard about all of the great support Guide Dogs will give us with veterinary care when we go home.  Tomorrow is a work day.  Then we have Sunday off, and get back into the instructional swing on Monday.

14 comments:

  1. Craig thank you for your posts! I am so happy to hear that Chase and you have found a bond and working relationship ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. He seems to be just the right fit.

      Delete
  2. Ohhh :) you'll bond with that boy fast. Sorry Nichole! He's a cutie! (um, yes, I know his main job is to be helpful, but he still is a smushy face sweet puppy when that harness is off!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen: He's a good lad. He leans in very nicely. And his butt wiggles a lot when he's getting affection. Plus, he does all his guide work really well.

      Delete
  3. That's great that you were able to make the switch to another dog that better suits your needs. I hope you continue to make great strides (so to speak!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's really a tribute to the staff at Guide Dogs. They did a great job of reevaluating my needs and found me the dog that worked.

      Delete
  4. I was sort of shocked at first...Oh Nicole...but you are right, you need a dog to suit your needs... Welcome to the family Chase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chase thanks you and says he can't wait to pee in your yard.

      Delete
  5. Ah Nicole, you are so beautiful. You will find another man better suited to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello...Nicole's puppy raiser here :)

    Sorry it did not work out with Nicole, but I am very glad to hear that Chase better suits your needs. I wish you two the best partnership and future together.

    I do want to thank you for this blog (it is a puppy rasier's dream) - it was wonderful seeing pictures of Nicole, and she does really look good in her booties! Also, it's quite incredible to hear what goes on day to day while you are in class. If you are willing to share it, I'm sure other puppy raisers would love to read it. Many puppy raisers are on Facebook and we keep connected under a page called "GDB Puppy Central"

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome. It's a lot to absorb in two weeks, and I found the blog a good way to process some of what went on during the day.

    My feeling is that I wrote the blog for anyone who wants to read it. So from my perspective, please feel free to share it with anyone you wish, recognizing that it does not have GDB's endorsement or approval (or disapproval). It's me speaking for me and in no way for GDB.

    As for Nicole, she is a great dog and I wish it had worked out. But she's geared to someone who doesn't walk as fast as I do. And really was as simple as that. Chase is just the right pace for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chase was raised in the club I volunteer for. He is such a sweet boy. Thanks for writing this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The volunteers who raise GDB puppies are wonderful people. They provide such a valuable service to us who are visually impaired. Chase is really a great dog. He's both incredibly mellow and wonderfully enthusiastic about his guide work.

    ReplyDelete