Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Day 4: We're Starting To Click

Nicole and I went for a walk today.  In fact, we went for two walks.  What we discovered on the first walk was that when I didn’t have a blindfold on, she didn’t walk fast enough for me.

I wanted to stride.  She wanted to stroll.

So on the second walk, Angie – the trailing trainer – tried a little technique called clicker training.  Nicole knows that when the trainer sounds a clicker, she gets a treat.  Angie replaced the kibble in my waistband treat bag with little cubes of meaty treats.  Those are called “high value treats”. 

I then gave Nicole the forward command.  Once she got into her stroll, I gave her the command “hop up” and tugged upward on her leash while holding the harness.  She knew that meant walk faster.  I repeated it until she was at a trot.  After Nicole took a few steps at a trot, Angie hit the clicker.  Nicole stopped immediately and looked up at me, waiting for her treat. 

For most of a mile, we kept Nicole at a trot.  With temperatures around 90 degrees, it was a workout.  Nicole went faster.  I went faster.  Angie went faster.  By the end of the walk, Nicole was panting.  I was panting.  Angie was panting. 

We’ll continue working on it Thursday. 

That’s right.  I’ll be here for Independence Day.  In some ways, that seems poetic and appropriate – to train with a guide dog on Independence Day.  I anticipate that having a guide dog will help perpetuate and enhance the independence I’ve worked hard to exercise for years.

My friend, Hutch Gott, asked me a couple of questions via Facebook: “Would be interested to know about your interaction w/Nicole and what it taught you. And how you will be grooming her daily.”

I’m not sure I’ve been doing this long enough to know what it will teach me.  I expect it will teach me dependence and trust.  I will come progressively to trust the dog’s training and to depend on her for safety. 
 

The grooming is simple.  I brush her against the grain of her fur with one kind of brush and brush with the grain with another kind of brush. I brush her top and bottom.  She loves it. I think tomorrow I learn how to brush her teeth. 

2 comments:

  1. ohhhh those rubber zoom grooms are AWESOME... Bu adored that. (Nella tolerates it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, you not only get an "extra" set of eyes and ears, but you get to drop a pants size too! Can't beat that deal!

    ReplyDelete